5-6 Grammar & Writing – Mondays, 1-2:30 pm. Instructor: Kathy Zimmerman
5/2/16: Assignment due 5/9/16: Study for grammar test covering pp. 58-81 of Rules of the Game. Bring food to share for our party.
4/25/16: Assignment due 5/2/16:
1. Write 3 paragragh fictional porquoi story, explaining how something came to be. Similar to Just So Stories
2. Complete grammar pp. 76-81
4/18/16: Assignment due 4/25/16: Rules of the Game, Compound Subjects exercises
4/11/16: Assignment due 4/18/16:
- Complete grammar pp. 68-71
- read Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling and bring it to class
4/4/16: Assignment due 4/11/16:
Write one paragraph from your brain and turn in with checklist
3/28/16: Assignment due 4/4/16:
- Rewrite the descriptive paragragh and turn in with checklist
- complete grammar exercise A on p. 60
- begin reading Just So Stories due 4/18
3/21/16: Assignment due 3/28/16:
- Study for grammar test on pp. 38-57
- Write a descriptive paragragh and turn in with checklist.
3/7/16: Assignment due 3/21/16:
- Complete pp. 54-57 of Rules of the Game
- Enjoy your Spring Break!
2/29/16: Assignment due 3/7/16:
- Write one or more haiku poems and type them. Haiku has 3 lines (5 syllabus, 7 syllables, 5 syllables)
- Complete pp. 49-51 of Rules of the Game
2/22/16: Assignment due 2/29/16:
- Write two paragraphs from your brain and turn in with checklist.
- Read Sadako and the 1000 Paper Cranes and bring book to class.
2/15/16: Assignment due 2/22/16:
- Write a 2 paragraph essay comparing and contrasting Valentines Day and Christmas Day turn in with checklist.
- Complete Grammar pp. 48-49, exercises A-B
2/8/16: Assignment due 2/15/16:
complete pp. 44-45 of Rules of the Game
2/1/16: Assignment due 2/8/16:
- Complete grammar pp. 39-41
- Email me a clean (no markings) copy of your character sketch by Friday 3/5 midnight so that I can copy them all into a booklet.
1/25/16: Assignment due 2/1/16:
- In preparation for the publication of our booklets, rewrite the character sketch from Pageant and turn in with new checklist.
- Study for grammar test covering pp. 24-37.
1/18/16: Assignment due 1/25/16:
Write a one paragraph report on any topic , using 3 books or internet sources. Turn in with checklist
1/11/6: Assignment due 1/18/16:
- Write a one paragraph character sketch of any character in The Best Christmas Pageant Ever. Type and turn in with checklist.
- Complete pp. 33-34 of Rules of the Game.
12/7: Assignment due 1/11/16:
Read The Best Christmas Pageant Ever and bring book to class
11/30: Assignment due 12/7/15:
- Write 1, 2 or 3 paragraphs about Humpback whales and turn in with checklist and fused outline.
- Bring grammar books with Comma exercises done
- bring snacks to share for party – Mrs. Z will bring paper goods and snacks.
- Bring The Best Christmas Pageant Ever to class.
11/16: Assignment due 11/30/15:
- Write a 3 paragraph story, retelling a familiar story, and turn in with checklist.
- Do Grammar pp. 24-28
11/9: Assignment due 11/16/15:
- Write a 3 paragraph story on The Serpent and the Eagle and turn in with checklist.
- study for grammar test on pp. 14-23
11/2: Assignment due 11/9/15:
- Write a 3 paragraph story on the Salt Merchant and turn in typed with checklist.
- Do Grammar p. 23.
10/26: Assignment due 11/2/15: Write a 3 paragraph story about The Lion and the Mouse or a variation include all dress up in each paragraph and turn in with checklist
10/19: Assignments due 10/26/15:
1. Write one paragraph on Antiseptics and turn in typed with dress-ups
2. Memorize: when, while, where, as, since, if, although
10/12: Assignments due 10/19/15:
- Write one paragraph on Carthage and turn in typed with checklist.
- Do Grammar pp. 19-21.
10/5: Assignment due 10/12/15:
- Write one paragraph on The Gordian Knot and turn in typed with checklist.
- Do Grammar p. 16, A:1-10
9/28: Assignment due 10/5/15:
- Write Alice paragraph and turn in final typed copy with checklist.
- Study pp. 1-13 of Rules of the Game for test.
9/21: Assignment due 9/28/15:
- If you did not turn in the final copy of Donkey, e-mail it to me. (I meant to say turn in final copy on last week’s assignment – sorry for confusion)
- rewrite Farmer with new dressups and turn in final copy with checklist.
- Complete grammar pp. 10-11.
9/14: Assignment due 9/21/15:
- Finish rough draft of the Donkey and his Driver or variation and turn in with checklist.
- Complete pages 6-7 of Rules of the Game.
8/31: Assignment due 9/14/15:
- Finish rough draft on “The Farmer”. Type final copy and turn in with checklist.
- Create a key word outlined from “Introducing Cephalapods.” Write a rough draft and type up final copy. Turn in checklist, outline and final copy.
- Complete Nouns: Exercises A-D in Rules of the Game.
- No class on Labor Day 9/7!
8/24: Assignment due 8/31/15: Write a paragraph about the Sea Wasp. Type, and turn in with checklist. Underline one who or which in the paragraph.